Friday, April 9, 2010

Good News!

Everyone loves good news. Especially in Africa!

My primary project has been funded! As most of you know, I have been working non-stop to find funding to repair a broken foot pump in my village. The project began the second I moved into my village in March 2009 and my new villagers said, “We have no water! We can’t do anything until we fix our pump!”

The village does in fact have water but it is difficult to get and dirty once you get it. We share the 50-meter-deep open well with nomadic herders who use our drinking, cooking, and bathing water for their cattle and goats. Everyone in the village but me must settle for unfiltered water that causes a plethora of gastro-intestinal and parasitic illnesses.

This well, in addition to being a health hazard, is a pain to use for the women. They are the ones responsible for pulling water from sunrise to sunset. Their hands are hard, bumpy and calloused from pulling hundreds of these waterlogged buckets every day. Thousands a month. Millions a year. The pump, when working, is operated by foot. The strength of the leg muscles ensures that retrieving water from the pump is a much easier task than pulling water with the arm and back muscles. I can’t wait to see the hands of these hard-working women become soft and beautiful again for the first time since childhood.

Without a functioning pump, the daughters from age 8-15 are often the ones in charge of pulling the water and carrying it home. When speaking to the village women about girls’ education, many are reluctant to let their school-age daughters go to school. Since March 2009, I have been explaining the value of education, especially for females, to every mother and father that will listen to me. The goal has been to gain support in bringing a primary school teacher to the village. The mothers all agree that with a pump, the domestic work load would significantly decrease and their daughters could go to school with full support of the entire family. The fathers have already compiled a list of 60 girls and 40 boys that they want to go to school.

I am also excited for the pump because it will lead to a cold season vegetable garden starting next November. The isolation of the village makes it hard to buy vegetables. The lack of water makes it impossible to grow vegetables. Currently the only source of vitamins in the village is bush weeds that are collected and dried in the rainy season. As an agriculture volunteer, I have been impatiently waiting for my project grant so that I can finally begin some gardening work in Niger.

I will post more updates once the repairs are actually made. Today, I’m headed back to the bush. I have already told the villagers the good news via cell phone. Now it is time to tell them in person. This will probably call for a fete, complete with roasted sheep!

2 comments:

PG said...

oh! my goodness Emie-moon!! I am so happy to hear about the pump!!! Victory for you!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Emily, I'm SO impressed. Thank you for all of your hard work. You are doing amazing things and contributing to the world in such a wonderful way. We each have a unique contribution to make, and I am truly happy you are there right now. Keep fighting! miss you. <3 Sabrina K.